Nutrient-dense fritters are a creative way to serve broccoli. Plus, they’re plant-based and taste bud-approved.
Broccoli Bites with Cashew Alfredo Dipping Sauce
Developed by Brieanna Casperson
Serving size: 3 fritters and 1½ tablespoons dipping sauce (120 grams)
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Cashew Alfredo Dipping Sauce
- [150 grams] 1 cup whole raw cashews
- [260 grams] 1 cup (240 milliliters) unsweetened almond milk
- [15 grams] 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) fresh-squeezed lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
- [20 grams] ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- [9 grams] 2 cloves garlic, minced
- [<1 gram] ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- [<1 gram] ¼ teaspoon black pepper, finely ground
- [170 grams] 2 cups broccoli florets, diced
- [270 grams] 1 can (15½ ounces) low-sodium chickpeas, drained
- [20 grams] ¼cup, plus ⅓cup parsley, chopped
- [30 grams] ¼ cup sweet onion, diced
- [100 grams] 2 whole eggs
- [20 grams] ¼ cup ground yellow cornmeal
- [200 grams] 1 cup plum tomatoes, diced (about 3-4 tomatoes)
- [50 grams] ¼ cup sundried tomatoes soaked in olive oil, diced
- Make the cashew alfredo dipping sauce by placing cashews, almond milk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic, nutmeg and black pepper into a blender and puree until smooth. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the blender, pour mixture into a bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Make broccoli bites by placing broccoli into blender or food processor and pulsing until fine. Transfer into a large bowl. Pour chickpeas into blender or food processor and pulse until almost smooth with a slightly chunky texture. Transfer chickpeas to the bowl with broccoli. Add ¼ cup parsley and onion to the bowl with broccoli and chickpeas. In a separate small bowl, whisk eggs until combined, then pour over the broccoli-chickpea mixture. With clean hands, knead the mixture until all ingredients are combined and moist.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cornmeal over the mixture and knead until combined. Add another tablespoon and knead; repeat until all cornmeal is incorporated.
- Use a spoon to scoop about 3 tablespoons of the mixture, gently form a ball about 1½ inches in diameter and place onto a nonstick baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Use spatula to transfer fritters to a serving dish. Garnish with remaining ⅓ cup chopped parsley, fresh tomato and sundried tomatoes, and serve with dipping sauce.
To make fritters vegan-friendly, use “chia eggs” in place of eggs. For this recipe, 2 “chia eggs” are equivalent to 2 tablespoons (21 grams) chia seeds and 4 tablespoons (60 milliliters) water. Combine ingredients in a small bowl and let sit for 5 minutes before adding to the broccoli-chickpea mixture.
Nutrition Per Serving:
CALORIES 202; TOTAL FAT 12g; SAT. FAT 2g; CHOL. 41mg; SODIUM 107mg; CARB. 18g; FIBER 4g; SUGARS 3g; PROTEIN 9g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A
Note: Nutrition information for potassium in almond milk and phosphorus in nutritional yeast not available.