Synopsis of the App
Change Talk is a motivational interviewing simulator designed for healthcare professionals in pediatric settings.
Platform and Price
Free. Apple, Android and Web.
5 out of 5
- Well-executed graphics and animation.
- Teaches motivational interviewing in a digital environment with opportunities to practice what’s learned in a virtual setting with virtual parents and children.
- Build skills for motivating change in behaviors related to childhood obesity including reducing the intake of sugar, difficulty feeding young ones and breastfeeding behaviors.
- Modules are approachable and well produced.
- The app includes a motivational interviewing overview and modules covering patient-centered counseling, reflective listening, and sustain talk.
- Includes culturally diverse and appropriate avatars to relate to a variety of professionals including dietitians.
- Engaging and interactive with realistic examples and conversations that a typical healthcare professional may encounter.
- Helps you learn how to ask patients for their input.
- Includes thoughts from the child, parent and practitioner – making the simulator a more dynamic and engaging experience to learn and practice motivational interviewing.
- Offers a virtual coach for guidance – adding feedback to enhance and inform the situation.
- Use the performance dashboard to track progress.
- Provides links to credible motivational interviewing resources including books and journal articles and more and the credentials for those who created the app.
- Leave and pick up where you left off. Repeat the simulator as often as you’d like.
- Content must be completed in sequence. So, it will take a little time to get through the app.
- The simulator can be slow to load. Pack your patience before starting.
- Responses and options are sometimes leading, which may limit the users ability to think critically.
With real-life conversations in a dynamic simulation setting, Change Talk is ideal for practitioners who are new to motivational interviewing or simply need a refresher.