Platform and Price
Free and paid versions; Available via Apple App store and online
3 out of 5
Synopsis of the App
IAteGreat! is one of a suite of online programs designed to encourage a healthy lifestyle. The IAteGreat series includes consumer and dietitian versions with free and paid offerings. This app provides an on-the-go log of food and activity and a way to check food facts from labels, the food database or pre-entered meals.
- App provides multiple ways to track and be mindful of food and physical activity.
- Check the healthfulness of over 200,000 grocery and restaurant foods using the app's rating system.
- Unlike many food logs, this one is simple and allows for entry via the database, a barcode (scanned), taking a picture, typed or verbal memo as well as entries from the user's pantry and previously entered meals.
- "Gr8 Dietitians" are all registered dietitians.
- Uses a well-rounded approach encouraging users to track calories consumed and burned through physical activity and track biometrics including weight, blood glucose, blood pressure, cholesterol and A1c levels.
- Option to give your dietitian access to the app and get coaching to improve results.
- Requires an account set up and login.
- Adding meals is rather tedious.
- Limitations (of any app) lead to a focus on calories.
Though feature rich, this app doesn't quite pull it together to help the user see if they are making progress. It may be a useful tool for registered dietitian nutritionists in private practice who can help their clients interpret their results.