Platform and Price
SmoothieRx ($0.99; Available via Apple App store)
1 out of 5
Synopsis of the App
Smoothie Rx aims to help users create nutritious smoothies. The app's main feature is a graphic depiction of the user's percent "daily need" of 18 nutrients.
- Customizable for children and adults alike.
- Comes with a 12 page digital instruction manual.
- Encourages smoothie creation using healthy ingredients including plenty of vegetables, nuts and yogurt.
- Can create smoothie recipes from scratch or the templates provided.
- Provides "seasonal" and "health benefit" smoothie recipe templates.
- Recipe templates are easy to customize.
- Recipes are shareable via Twitter.
- App design is not user-friendly.
- Awkward design that's not optimized for mobile viewing.
- Doesn't account for the user's activity level which may impact daily calorie needs.
- Makes health benefits claims such as "flu fighter" without any supporting references.
NOTE: Developer provided a promo code to review SmoothieRx. App developer states an update to the interface is in the works.
While it offers some unique recipes, Smoothie Rx falls short of its goal as the app is too difficult to navigate.