Synopsis of the App
Periscope is Twitter's new live streaming app that allows you to watch anything from street performers in Central Park to a live cooking demo as it happens from anywhere in the world.
4 out of 5
Platform and Price
Free: Apple and Android.
- Simple user-friendly design.
- Broadcast live from anywhere directly from your mobile phone.
- Automatically send a tweet to announce the start of each broadcast.
- Option to limit broadcasts to a private audience.
- Save broadcasts to your camera roll to share in other ways, such as YouTube or Instagram.
- Save broadcasts for replay within 24 hours, or immediately delete broadcasts you don't like.
- "Heart" or like broadcasts with one tap to show appreciation to the presenters.
- Interactive! Get immediate feedback by chatting live with your audience as they send comments and hearts your way.
- Follow your favorite Periscope users to get notifications when they start a new broadcast.
- Login with your Twitter account so there's no need to create a new account or name. Use your phone number to sign up if you don't have a Twitter account.
- Browse live and recent broadcasts.
- Broadcasts can be watched live on the web or via the app.
- Reach a global audience 24/7.
- Requires Twitter or surrendering a phone number to use.
- Limited search functionality.
- Replays are only available for 24 hours at present.
- Some broadcasts are "spammy" or irrelevant for professional use.
- Though you can easily block offenders, the app is rife with trolls who interrupt popular broadcasts.
- No way to fast-forward or rewind replays.
- The app needs more options to customize notifications. At the time of this review, you either get all notifications or none.
- No way to comment on replays.
- It's addictive.
Get on it! Periscope is a fun and easy way to broadcast live to the world. With more and more people joining every day, this app may be a social media game-changer. If you want to start vlogging, Periscope is a great way to share your nutrition knowledge, fitness routines, cooking demos and more with an eager live audience.