Synopsis of the App
(Not)Recipes by Food52 is a great place to find cooking inspiration and connect with other food lovers. This app focuses on the food — no cute puppies, fashion bloggers or sunsets included. Designed to bring out the inner chef, (Not)Recipes lets users share recipes and get feedback from its global online community. Best for those with a basic cooking foundation, this app showcases foodie photos of dishes and off-the-cuff cooking.
Platform and Price
Free: Apple only
4 out of 5
- Attractive and user-friendly design.
- The minimal, Instagram-like feel of the app makes for a short learning curve.
- Active, supportive and skilled cooking community.
- Recipes are organized by ingredient and can be easily explored.
- Add your own (not)recipes or search for those from the community.
- Save favorites in one click for easy recall.
- Real life photos are often used versus overly staged images.
- Log in with existing Food52 account.
- Includes more than 20 photo filters to create beautiful food photos on the app.
- App automatically generates a searchable ingredient list from your (not)recipe text to use as a mini grocery list.
- Link Twitter or Facebook accounts to quickly share recipes with your online community.
- Browse existing recipes or join the community to comment, like, share and upload your own creations.
- Food52 hosts regular contests and themes for cooking inspiration and to unite the community.
- Scroll the real time feed for ideas and to see what the community is making.
- With the help of the filters, most photos are beautiful, but there's varying image quality.
- Recipes are not tested so users need to have a basic cooking foundation to execute the ideas.
- Cannot edit recipes once uploaded. Users can contact customer service as a work around for now.
- Available via iOS only at the time of this review.
Best for people with some cooking experience, (Not)Recipes is a fun and easy way to get inspiration and connect with other home cooks in one place.