Passion Fruit Tart with Dandelion-Infused Vanilla Custard and Coconut Whipped Topping
The refreshing flavor of vanilla custard infused with dandelion root tea pairs wonderfully with the vibrant taste of fresh passion fruit. Serve it in a tart shell topped with coconut cream for a delightful summer dessert.
- [90 grams] 1 13½-ounce can coconut milk
- [360 grams] 1½ cups (360 milliliters) unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- [4 grams] 2 dandelion root tea bags
- [100 grams] 2 large eggs
- [15 grams] 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- [5 grams] 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) vanilla extract
- [45 grams] 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- [1 gram] ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- [1 gram] ¼ teaspoon (1 milliliter) apple cider vinegar
- [175 grams] 3 medium passion fruits
- [270 grams] 18 1-inch tart shells, precooked
- Place can of coconut milk, a metal mixing bowl and mixer whisk attachment in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- In a medium saucepan, combine almond milk and tea bags and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let tea bags steep for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and cornstarch and set aside.
- Remove tea bags from milk. Place pot on stove over medium heat and add vanilla extract, sugar, ginger and apple cider vinegar. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes until ingredients are combined.
- Slowly add the egg mixture into the pot. Stir continuously over medium-low heat until custard begins to thicken. Remove from heat and let sit, stirring every few seconds until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Pour custard into a glass bowl and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
- Wash passion fruits under cold water. Using kitchen shears, cut into the side of the passion fruit vertically until you are able to insert your fingers and pop the fruit open. Scoop out the pulp and place in a bowl. Place bowl in refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble tarts.
- Remove coconut milk, metal bowl and whisk attachment from refrigerator. Turn the can upside down and open with can opener. Using a slotted spoon, remove solids and place into chilled metal bowl. Reserve remaining liquid for future use.
- Attach metal whisk to hand or stand mixer and whip coconut solids into a light whipped topping, whisking at medium speed for 3 to 5 minutes and using a spatula to wipe sides of bowl.
- Fill each tart shell with 1 tablespoon dandelion custard. Top with 1 teaspoon coconut whipped topping and garnish with ½ teaspoon passion fruit pulp. Serves 18.
Serving size: 1 tart (40 grams)
CALORIES 122; TOTAL FAT 7g; SAT. FAT 2g; CHOL. 18mg; SODIUM 55mg; CARB. 14g; FIBER 1g; SUGARS 7g; PROTEIN 2g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A
Note: Nutrition information for potassium and phosphorus in unsweetened vanilla almond milk and dandelion root tea bags not available. Substituted earl grey tea bags for dandelion root tea bags and puff pastry for frozen tart shells for nutrient analysis.