Stuff a crispy sandwich roll with quick-pickled beets, hard-boiled eggs, whipped feta spread, arugula and briny capers for a savory and satisfying lunch.
Serving size: 1 sandwich (240 grams)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 1 pound raw beets, leaves removed (about 2 medium beets)
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) olive oil
- 2 cups (240 milliliters) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 3 cloves
- 8 allspice berries
- ½ cup feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 4 crusty sandwich rolls
- 1 cup arugula
- 4 large eggs, hard-boiled and thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons capers
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Scrub beets under running water, then rub with olive oil and wrap in foil. Place in oven and roast until tender and easily pierced with a fork, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and let rest until beets are cool to the touch. Gently rub with a paper towel to remove skin, then slice into thin pieces.
- Place vinegar, sugar, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, cloves and allspice berries in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in beets, then remove from heat. Let cool, then transfer to a bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Beets can be made up to two weeks in advance, covered and stored in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In the base of a food processor, place feta, cream cheese, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Process until creamy and smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in chives and set aside.
- Slice sandwich rolls in half and spread 1 tablespoon whipped cheese mixture on each half. Layer each with 1 sliced hardboiled egg, ¼ cup arugula, 1 teaspoon capers and 3 to 4 sliced beets. Garnish with pepper, if desired. Serve immediately. Leftover whipped feta can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Nutrition per serving: CALORIES 321; TOTAL FAT 13g; SAT. FAT 6g; CHOL. 186mg; SODIUM N/A; CARB. N/A; FIBER 3g; SUGARS N/A; PROTEIN 17g; POTASSIUM 420mg; PHOSPHORUS 254mg
Note: Nutrition information for cracked-wheat hamburger bun used for crusty sandwich roll. Nutrition information for sodium, carbohydrates and sugars not available due to multiple factors affecting sugar and sodium absorption during the pickling process.