Emile Henry Casserole Dish
I love warm, hearty casseroles during the colder months. I’ve used casserole dishes similar to this Emile Henry model before, but, in my opinion, you can never have too many. I loved that this one was round and not super large. Since it’s just my husband and I in our home, most of the time, I’m only cooking for two. I don’t need a huge dish that takes up tons of storage space. In fact, the only downside I see is the fact that it didn’t come with a lid.
Casseroles are great for busy home cooks. Prep one the night before, pop it in the oven when you get home from work, take the dog for a walk. By the time you get back, dinner’s ready to go! There are endless casserole varieties you can experiment with. My advice is to try different combinations of vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins until you find one you love! Casserole dishes like this one by Emile Henry are perfect for serving up simple, nutrient-packed dishes to your family with minimal effort.
I actually used my casserole dish to make a lightened up version of my husband’s favorite green bean casserole for Thanksgiving!
Healthy Green Bean Casserole
Recipe by Lindsay Livingston, RD
2 Tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced and diced
3 Tablespoons white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups skim milk
2/3 cups plain greek yogurt
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
black pepper, to taste
2 – 12 ounce bags frozen green beans
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add garlic, onion and mushrooms and saute 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add flour and stir well. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly to avoid clumping. Add yogurt and seasonings, reduce heat and let simmer 5 to 10 minutes until thickened.
- Cook green beans according to package directions (in microwave or on the stove. Drain excess water). Add green beans to sauce and stir to combine.
- Pour into a casserole dish. Top with Parmesan if desired. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake in 350° oven for 30 minutes.