Platform and Price
Android and Apple, free
4 out of 5
Synopsis of the App
Created by the National Center for Telegraph and Technology, the Breathe2Relax app is a portable skill rehearsal tool designed to take users through guided diaphragmatic breathing exercises. The app can be used as a standalone stress management tool or to supplement face-to-face healthcare.
- Practice and perform breathing sessions directly from the app.
- Easily customize scenery, music and the number of cycles in a breathing exercise.
- Accessible wherever and whenever stress strikes (as long as you have your smartphone).
- Includes instructional videos and articles covering the biology of stress, understanding diaphragmatic breathing and the effects of stress on the body.
- Allows you to establish personal exhale and inhale breath lengths for optimal comfort.
- Calming voice encourages being patient and comfortable with diaphragmatic breathing before moving on with the guided exercises.
- Provides wellness tips, such as, “going to bed and waking at the same time daily helps create good sleep hygiene.”
- Displays a visual breathing gauge and tracks the breathing cycles that remain in each exercise.
- Rate and document pre- and post-stress levels using a sliding scale from relaxed to stressed.
- Identify trends using the Breathe2Relax graphs that automatically compile stress ratings before and after breathing exercises are completed.
- Offers the necessary precautions, advising users who experience difficulty breathing, dizziness or nervousness to return to normal breathing.
- Logo and graphics appear dated.
- The print (white on blue background or blue on black background) may be difficult for some users to read.
- It's an app. The screen time may interfere with the potential relaxation benefits.
- Images flash with each inhalation or exhalation which may be stimulating versus relaxing.
If you are looking for an easy entry to breathing exercises, this app is definitely worth a download. Though lacking any fancy graphics, the Breathe2Relax app delivers guided breathing exercises that may help you power through a stressful day or simply slow things down. It's easy-to-use and ready when you are.