Vegan Three-Bean Chili with Farro and Dark Chocolate
- [120 grams] ¾ cup farro, dry
- [470 grams] 2 cups (470 milliliters) water
- [14 grams] 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) olive oil
- [850 grams] 1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped into ⅓- to ½-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
- [210 grams] 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped (about 1¼ cup)
- [180 grams] 1 small yellow onion, chopped (about ¾ cup)
- [55 grams] 1 jalapeño, diced with seeds and veins removed (about ¼ cup)
- [14 grams] 5 cloves garlic, minced
- [410 grams] 1 (14½-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- [425 grams] 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- [425 grams] 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- [425 grams] 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- [1,100 grams] 5 cups (1,180 milliliters) vegetable broth
- [<1 gram] 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- [6 grams] 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- [1 gram] ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- [<1 gram] ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- [30 grams] 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- [30 grams] 1 ounce (85% cocoa) vegan dark chocolate, roughly chopped in ¼-inch pieces
- [15 grams] 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) red wine vinegar
- [<1 gram] ¼ teaspoon salt
- [<1 gram] ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine farro and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once simmering, cover and cook over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes or until all water is absorbed and farro is tender.
- In a large enamel-coated Dutch oven, heat olive oil for 2 minutes. Add butternut squash, bell pepper, onion and jalapeño. Cook over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add cooked farro, tomatoes, beans, vegetable broth, oregano, cumin, coriander and cayenne. Stir in tomato paste and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover with lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add dark chocolate, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper to the pot. Cook another 15 minutes or until butternut squash is tender and chocolate is completely melted and incorporated into the chili.
- Taste and adjust any seasonings as needed. Serves 14.
- Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese and chopped cilantro. To keep it vegan, choose a vegan sour cream and vegan shredded cheese or omit these toppings.
Serving size: 1 cup (280 grams)
CALORIES 214; TOTAL FAT 3g; SAT. FAT 1g; CHOL. 0mg; SODIUM 371mg; CARB. 38g; FIBER 11g; SUGARS 5g; PROTEIN 10g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A
Note: Nutrition information for potassium and phosphorus in farro, canned diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, ground cumin and ground coriander not available.