Synopsis of the App
The NOOM Coach app offers paid weight loss and diabetes and hypertension prevention courses along with ways to log and track basic inputs like meals, weight, exercise, blood glucose, blood pressure and exercise.
Platform and Price
Free (+ in-app purchases). Apple and Android.
3 out of 5
- Bright and cheerful aesthetic makes using the app a fun and engaging experience.
- Includes an initial survey to capture basic data such as age, weight, height and desired weight loss and timeframe to achieve goals.
- Log your meals, blood glucose, blood pressure and track exercise and weight directly in the app.
- Set reminders to log meals and exercise.
- Includes key tracking details on the home page.
- Keeps calories in view with total calories “available” at the top of the home page.
- Automatically tracks steps and reveals how close you are to the target from the home page.
- Integrates with HealthKit and GoogleFit.
- Sample the paid 16-week courses in healthy weight management, diabetes or hypertension prevention with the free 7-Day trial.
- With calories always in view, NOOM may not be the best fit for those seeking a non-diet approach to healthy living.
- Usefulness is limited to basic meal and activity tracking unless you pay for the group courses, which start at $30-45 per month.
- NOOM automatically enrolls app users in its email list. It’s easy to unsubscribe.
NOOM is a good starter app for logging meals and tracking activity. However, without an active (paid) coaching course, the app offers limited value beyond tracking the numbers.