Platform and Price
Free; Available via Apple App store and Google Play
3 out of 5
Synopsis of the App
Part game, part education, Carb Counting with Lenny is designed to help children become carb counting masters. Lenny the Lion is an upbeat, self-proclaimed ambassador for children’s diabetes education who leads kids and their parents through a number of diabetes education games. App is developed by Medtronic, Inc.
- Lenny delivers a basic explanation of why carbohydrate counting matters related to carbohydrates, glucose and insulin.
- Simple, engaging design with four game options including:
- Carb or No Carb?
- Compare the Carbs!
- Guess the Carbs!
- Build a Meal!
- Lenny becomes a trusted friend in diabetes education as he leads other educational games online that can be accessed directly from the app.
- Common foods and serving sizes are featured throughout the food guide and games.
- Age appropriate with no complicated jargon.
- No advertisements.
- The majority of the grains featured are refined ones such as animal crackers, grits, graham crackers and hamburger buns. This may be a missed opportunity to promote whole grains to children.
- Doesn’t mention speaking to parents or a medical professional to get questions answered.
Carb Counting with Lenny is worth a download. Though simple and easy to master, this app is an engaging and effective way to teach children carbohydrate counting basics.