Platform and Price
Free (in- app purchases); Android, Apple, Windows
4 out of 5
Synopsis of the App
Aegis Shield is designed to help "keep athletes clean and in the game." The app identifies banned ingredients in nutrition products and dietary supplements according to the banned substances list for sports programs including WADA, Collegiate, NFL®, MLB®, NASCAR®, WWE®, INDYCAR®.
- Simple design with all functions easily accessible from the home screen.
- Database contains over 60k supplement and nutrition products.
- Search by product name, manufacturer or ingredient or scan the product's barcode with one click.
- Products are clearly marked Okay, Caution or Banned to visibly inform whether it contains ingredients on the program's banned substance list.
- Easy to recognize green, yellow and red alerts give the "all clear" or warns when a product contains ingredients that are or may be prohibited by the selected sports program.
- Displays the complete declared ingredient list and associated UPC codes.
- Includes a history tab to quickly recall previously viewed products.
- Aegis Shield analyzes the product's declared contents for about 40,000 aliases to help identify a wide range of substances more accurately.
- Easily suggest new products for analysis and addition to the database.
- Allows 2 free product scans to preview the app before requiring a program subscription.
- Date stamped product analysis reassures the information is up to date.
- Subscribe to sports programs for $2.99 each for 12 months.
- Web access also available with subscription.
- No advertisements.
- Creating an account requires surrendering an email address and age to access the app.
- The Aegis team of experts includes PhD scientists including a consulting toxicologist, PharmDs and an MD but no sports dietitians.
Aegis Shield is a quick reference that puts essential nutrition supplement information at your fingertips. It's an ideal app for collegiate and professional athletes as well as their supporting nutrition and fitness staff.