1/4. cup diced white onion
1/2. cup canned white northern beans, drained and rinsed
1/2. cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons almond meal
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 1⁄8 cup vital wheat gluten
1 teaspoon corn starch
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2. teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4. teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cumin
- Add beans and diced onion to the bowl of a food processor with the metal blade attachment. Pulse a few times until mixture comes together.
- Add the soy sauce, vegetable broth, almond meal, oil, garlic and nutritional yeast. Pulse together until combined.
- Add in the spices and process until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the mixture and add to a large mixing bowl. Add the vital wheat gluten and corn starch to the bowl and stir to combine. Using your hands, knead gently until a ball forms. The mixture will be soft and start to develop strands of gluten. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a hot dog shape, about ½-inch thick and 5 inches long. Place each hot dog on a rectangular piece of aluminum foil and wrap the foil around the dog, leaving some space for expansion during steaming. Twist ends of the foil together until sealed.
- Prepare a steamer basket over boiling water. Place foil-rolled hot dogs into the steamer basket, cover and steam for 35 minutes and then carefully remove and unwrap the dogs.
- Use immediately or place in an airtight container until ready to eat.
- To grill, place the hot dogs onto a hot grill and cook for 3 minutes per side, or until hot.
- Serve with mustard, ketchup and homemade relish (recipe follows).
Serves 8 (Serving size: 1 hot dog)
Calories 155; Total fat 5g; Sat. fat 0g; Chol . 0mg; Sodium 550mg; Carb . 13g; Fiber 2g; Sugars 1g; Protein 14g; Potassium N/A; Phosphorous N/A
Sweet or Spicy Relish
1 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
2 cups sour dill pickles, finely diced
1/2 cup sweet gerkins, finely diced
1⁄3 cup jarred sweet or hot red peppers, finely diced*
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1⁄8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black or white pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring apple cider vinegar, mustard seeds, coriander seeds to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and add the pickles, gerkins, peppers, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat, place in a bowl and cover. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- This relish can be made either sweet or spicy, depending on what type of jarred peppers you use. If you want more spice, substitute red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper for the black pepper.
Makes 3½ cups (Serving size 2 tablespoons)
Calories 20; Total fat 0g; Sat. fat 0g; Chol . 0mg; Sodium 83mg; Carb . 4g; Fiber 0g; Sugars 4g; Protein 0g; Potassium 29mg; Phosphorous 4mg