Synopsis of the App
Part activity tracker, part story, part game, The Walk app is not just a pedometer it's an interactive adventure.
Platform and Price
$2.99. Apple, Android
4 out of 5
- At least 13 hours of audio in 65 chapters to walk the length of the United Kingdom.
- Walk in the real world to move in the game.
- Every step counts during the day to uncover clues in each new chapter of the walking adventure.
- Motivating gameplay that's rewarded with clues and unlocking rewards and achievements as you progress.
- Audio puts you directly in the action.
- Automatically adapts to individual fitness level.
- Encourages walkers to take the longer, more scenic route to earn special collectibles and find hidden recordings.
- Promotes activity with updates on the minutes required to walk to reach the next story clip.
- Offers achievements in every episode and rewards for finishing an episode in 24 hours.
- Delivers notifications along the route to allow you to hear scenes the next story clip along your walking route.
- Extensive FAQs and support provided within the app.
- Must carry the phone in your pocket or purse for continuous tracking and game play.
- Significant battery drain due to app running in the background.
- Must tap to play audio clips. It would make for a more engaging story if you could hear the clips automatically.
- Walking without listening to the story creates a backlog of clips that takes some of the fun out of the game.
A pedometer at heart, The Walk will appeal adventure seekers and avid readers. Using an engaging storyline to promote movement is a clever way to encourage activity. You have to walk to get the next clip. No way around it.