Chinese Collard Carrot Slaw
Full of calcium but free of dairy, this heartier version of a traditional, creamy cabbage slaw is perfect for picnics. Enjoy it as a side dish, in place of lettuce in a wrap or served with a protein as a main entree.
- [15 grams] 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- [240 grams] 8 ½ ounces collard greens, ribs removed and cut into long, thin strips
- [220 grams] 3 cups carrots, grated
- [40 grams] ½ cup scallions, diced
- [85 grams] 6 tablespoons (90 milliliters) canola oil
- [15 grams] 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) toasted sesame oil
- [75 grams] 5 tablespoons (75 milliliters) rice vinegar
- [15 grams] 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) low-sodium tamari
- [6 grams] 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- [3 grams] 1 teaspoon salt
- [6 grams] 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Place sesame seeds in an 8-inch, nonstick skillet. Toast over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine collard greens, carrots, scallions and toasted sesame seeds. In a separate small bowl, combine canola oil, toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, tamari, ginger, salt and sugar. Using an immersion blender, blend all ingredients in small bowl until emulsified.
- Pour dressing over vegetables and toss with tongs to evenly distribute. Store dressed slaw in a covered container in the refrigerator for 12 hours or overnight.
- After 12 hours, remove from refrigerator. Place a fine mesh strainer over another large bowl. Strain slaw for 10 minutes, pressing down a few times to remove excess liquid. There should be approximately 3.6 fluid ounces (105 milliliters) of strained dressing; discard.
- Place strained slaw in a serving bowl. Slaw can be eaten cold or at room temperature. Serves 7 as a side dish.
Serving size: 1 cup (100 grams)
CALORIES 91; TOTAL FAT 7g; SAT. FAT 1g; CHOL. 0mg; SODIUM 135mg; CARB. 5g; FIBER 2g; SUGARS 2g; PROTEIN 2g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A
Note: Nutrition information for potassium and phosphorus in sesame seeds and rice vinegar not available.