Millet-Stuffed Peppers with Chipotle Tofu
Nutrient-packed red peppers make a delicious, edible bowl for naturally gluten-free millet and chipotle-flavored baked tofu.
- [15 grams] 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) olive oil
- [3 grams] 1 garlic clove, diced
- [120 grams] ½ medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- [2 grams] 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- [3 grams] 1 teaspoon chili powder
- [<1 gram] ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- [180 grams] 1 cup millet, dry
- [85 grams] ½ cup raisins
- [770 grams] 3¼ cups (770 milliliters) water
- [5 grams] ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- [390 grams] 2 red bell peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- [465 grams] 2 yellow or orange bell peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- [190 grams] 6 ounces chipotle-flavored baked tofu, cubed
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute, then add onion and continue to cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened.
- Add cumin, chili powder and cinnamon and cook 1 minute. Stir in millet, raisins, water and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 35 to 40 minutes, stirring once or twice until most liquid is absorbed.
- While millet mixture is cooking, preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Place halved bell peppers cut-side-down on two large rimmed baking sheets. Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes until peppers begin to soften.
- When millet mixture is done cooking, remove from heat.
- Flip bell pepper halves, fill each with ½ cup millet mixture and tuck divided tofu into millet filling. Re-cover baking sheets and return to oven for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 to 10 minutes more until peppers are tender. Serves 4.
- If chipotle-flavored baked tofu is not available, use extra-firm tofu brushed with 1 teaspoon chipotle-flavored hot sauce.
Serving size: 2 stuffed pepper halves (440 grams)
CALORIES 404; TOTAL FAT 8g; SAT. FAT 1g; CHOL. 0mg; SODIUM 739mg; CARB. 71g; FIBER 10g; SUGARS 18g; PROTEIN 16g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A
Note: Savory baked tofu used in place of chipotle-flavored tofu in nutrient analysis. Nutrition information for potassium and phosphorus in ground cumin, kosher salt and savory baked tofu not available.