Zucchini Noodle Mei Fun with Chicken
Zucchini noodles take the place of grains in this gluten-free recipe. Tossed in a tangy sauce, it’s an easy and flavorful way to get your daily servings of vegetables.
- [680 grams] 2 medium zucchinis
- [30 grams] 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) reduced-sodium tamari
- [30 grams] 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) rice wine vinegar
- [10 grams] ½ tablespoon (7 milliliters) honey
- [8 grams] ½ tablespoon chili garlic paste (optional)
- [35 grams] 2½ tablespoons (35 milliliters) sesame oil, divided
- [70 grams] 1 egg
- [280 grams] 1 chicken breast, cubed
- [8 grams] ½ tablespoon garlic, diced
- Black pepper to taste
- [180 grams] ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- [240 grams] 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- [140 grams] 5 ounces bean sprouts, washed
- [35 grams] 5 scallions, chopped
- Spiralize zucchini into a mixing bowl using a small noodle blade (similar size as angel hair pasta).
- Combine tamari, rice wine vinegar, honey and optional chili garlic paste in a small bowl and mix with a fork.
- Heat a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat and add ½ tablespoon sesame oil and egg. Scramble egg until fully cooked, remove from pan and set aside in a small bowl.
- In the same large pan or wok, add 1 tablespoon sesame oil, followed by cubed chicken and garlic. Add black pepper to taste. Stir-fry chicken with a spatula for 3 to 5 minutes, until it is no longer pink and has reached an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- Add onion, pepper and bean sprouts to the pan or wok and stir-fry with a spatula for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add egg back into the pan or wok. Toss and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add sauce mixture to pan or wok and reduce to low heat.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium-sized frying pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon sesame oil, followed by zucchini noodles. Using tongs, toss to coat and continue tossing to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Be careful not to overcook, as zucchini noodles will become soggy.
- Place zucchini noodles in a serving bowl and top with the chicken and vegetable mixture. Toss with tongs and garnish with chopped scallions. Serves 4.
Serving size: 1½ cups (240 grams)
CALORIES 296; TOTAL FAT 13g; SAT. FAT 2g; CHOL. 96mg; SODIUM 433mg; CARB. 23g; FIBER 5g; SUGARS 6g; PROTEIN 25g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A
Note: Nutrition information for potassium and phosphorus in rice vinegar and chili paste not available.