Platform and Price
Free download (subscription required): Apple
4 out of 5
Synopsis of the App
Rise is a micro-coaching app that enables users to work 1 on 1 with a registered dietitian directly from their smartphone everyday.
- Polished and simple design delivers a user-friendly experience.
- Coaches are all registered dietitians.
- Onboarding interview cleverly uses some of the most common reasons people seek nutrition advice. Clients can answer with a desire to lose weight, learn to eat well, boost energy levels, prepare for a race or look good for an event.
- Tailors content and interactions based on the client’s eating style which include vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free and paleo options.
- Select a coach based on his or her coaching style and personal traits like “exercise fanatic,” “social butterfly” or “balance seeker.”
- Easy entry food journal allows clients to snap a photo or type the text of meals for the coach to review.
- Daily access to a registered dietitian coach for support and feedback on meals and to get any questions answered.
- Creating an account requires a little leap of faith. To sign up, Rise required surrendering an email address, name and credit card before seeing what is behind the curtain. However, at the time of this review, Rise offered a one-week trial subscription that helped with this.
- The app lacks a designated space to track daily physical activity and doesn’t sync with wearable tracking devices.
- Available on the Apple platform only.
Rise delivers on accountability. The app is ideal for the person who wants to start a specific diet, jumpstart weight loss or get daily support for living a healthy lifestyle. Like in the real world, personal experience with virtual RD coaches will inevitably vary from person to person. However, it’s a solid platform to connect and introduce registered dietitians with the people who need them.