Apricot Chickpea Soup
This protein-packed soup features quinoa and chickpeas and has a light, fruity flavor.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium yellow sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 7¼ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14½-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup quinoa, dry
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, optional
- Heat butter and oil in a 6-quart pot over medium-high heat until butter is melted. Sauté onion and garlic until onion is translucent.
- Add broth, tomatoes, chickpeas, apricots, lemon juice, sugar, cumin and salt. Simmer for 10 minutes uncovered.
- Add quinoa and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes or until quinoa is soft. Garnish with cilantro, if desired. Serves 5.
Serving size: 1½ cups
CALORIES 290; TOTAL FAT 10g; SAT. FAT 3g; CHOL. 6mg; SODIUM 482mg; CARB. 40g; FIBER 7g; SUGARS 11g; PROTEIN 15g; POTASSIUM 857mg; PHOSPHORUS 285mg