Cream of Tomato Soup
In this simple weeknight soup, cayenne pepper adds a kick of spiciness to a comfort classic.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, diced small
- ⅓ cup red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 14½-ounce can no-salt-added whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup half-and-half
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add carrots and onions, and sauté for about 3 to 4 minutes or until onions become translucent.
- Add garlic and tomato paste, and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes and broth. Break tomatoes apart with a wooden spoon. Bring soup to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until carrots are tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Puree soup in a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth. Add half-and-half, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper (optional), and stir. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serves 2.
SERVING SIZE: 1½ cups
CALORIES 158; TOTAL FAT 9g; SAT. FAT 3g; CHOL. 11mg; SODIUM 677mg; CARB. 16g; FIBER 5g; SUGARS 8g; PROTEIN 6g; POTASSIUM 690mg; PHOSPHORUS 121mg