Sweet Potato Soup with Cashew-Coconut Cream
This creamy soup balances sweet and savory notes of coconut and curry. The cashew-coconut cream adds a visual touch when it’s swirled into the bright orange soup.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 cups sweet potato, diced (about 2 medium)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 tablespoons mild yellow curry powder
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups water
- ¼ cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cashew butter
- ¼ cup parsley or cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- ¼ cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon cashew butter
- 2 teaspoons full-fat coconut milk
- 1 to 2 teaspoons water
- In a large pot over medium heat, add oil, shallots and garlic. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, celery and carrot, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Stir in curry powder and salt. Add water, bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove soup from heat and cool slightly. Add coconut milk and cashew butter, stirring well to combine. Puree soup in the pot with an immersion blender, or add soup to a blender to puree.
- To make cashew-coconut cream: In a small bowl, combine yogurt, cashew butter and coconut milk. Add water as needed until consistency is thick and similar to heavy cream.
- Ladle soup into four bowls, and swirl 1 tablespoon cashew-coconut cream into each bowl. Garnish with parsley or cilantro. Serves 4.
SERVING SIZE: 1 cup
CALORIES 302; TOTAL FAT 14g; SAT. FAT 5g; CHOL. 1mg; SODIUM 623mg; CARB. 40g; FIBER 6g; SUGARS 4g; PROTEIN 7g; POTASSIUM 807mg; PHOSPHORUS 174mg