Aside from being delicious, butternut squash is a nutrition powerhouse: It is a good source of potassium and is jam-packed with vitamins A and C.
This Food & Nutrition Test Kitchen recipe, developed by Stone Soup blogger Wendy Lopez, MS, RD, CDE, is a simple and light option. Follow the recipe exactly, or make it your own by swapping ingredients or adding new flavors!
Butternut Squash Arugula Pita Pizza
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 1 serving
- 1 cup peeled and chopped butternut squash
- 1 100-percent whole-grain pita round
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup sliced red onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup fresh arugula
- 1 ounce feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Add squash to a pot of boiling water and cook 10 to 15 minutes, until tender but still firm. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. On a baking sheet, place pita round and spread tomato sauce onto it.
- Evenly distribute squash on pita and top with sliced onions.
- Drizzle olive oil over pita and bake 15 minutes.
- Finish by topping with arugula, feta, balsamic vinegar and black pepper to taste.