With the holidays upon us, Food & Nutrition’s recipe developers cooked up a beautiful spread of secretly nutritious snacks, sweets and mocktails that are sure to entertain guests! Find our other “Festive Fete” recipes here.
Serving size: 1 truffle
Prep time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
- ⅓ cup raw almonds
- 1 cup dark chocolate morsels
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- ½ cup (120 milliliters) canned coconut milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Place almonds on a baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place dark chocolate morsels in a wide, medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute and 40 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir with a spoon, until chocolate is smooth. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together coconut and coconut milk.
- Add coconut mixture to a food processor and pulse for 30 seconds.
- Add toasted almonds to coconut mixture and pulse for another 20 seconds.
- In a medium bowl, stir together coconut-almond mixture and melted chocolate. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Place cocoa powder on a sheet pan or plate.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of mixture and roll into truffle with clean hands.
- Roll truffle in cocoa powder until well-coated. Repeat with remaining truffle mixture.
- Refrigerate truffles for 30 minutes and serve at room temperature.
Cooking note: Store truffles in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Nutrition per serving: CALORIES 145; TOTAL FAT 11g; SAT. FAT 7g; CHOL. 0mg; SODIUM 19mg; CARB. 10g; FIBER 3g; SUGARS 6g; PROTEIN 2g; POTASSIUM 176mg; PHOSPHORUS 80mg