With the holidays upon us, Food & Nutrition’s recipe developers cooked up a beautiful spread of secretly nutritious snacks, sweets and mocktails that are sure to entertain guests! Find our other “Festive Fete” recipes here.
Serving size: ¾ cup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1 3-inch piece peeled fresh ginger
- 2½ cups (600 milliliters) 100-percent cranberry juice
- 3 star anise, broken into pieces
- ¾ cup (180 milliliters) water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2½ cups (600 milliliters) clementine or mandarin juice (about 3½ pounds of fruit)
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper flakes*
- 2 cups (480 milliliters) sparkling water
- ½ cup, plus 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds
- Slice ginger into ⅛-inch to ¼-inch-thick pieces.
- Place ginger in a 4-quart pot with cranberry juice, star anise, water, sugar and citrus juice. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat after 45 minutes, add pepper flakes, stir and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour juice into a fine mesh strainer placed over a bowl. Discard solids and refrigerate liquid for 2 hours or until cold.
- Add sparkling water to the juice and stir.
- Divide liquid equally into 10 glasses, distribute pomegranate seeds and add ice cubes.
*Aleppo peppers have unique fruity notes, but red pepper flakes can be used as a substitute.
Cooking note: To make this recipe with alcohol, replace sparkling water with 2 cups dry sparkling white wine, prosecco or cava.
Nutrition per serving (without alcohol): CALORIES 85; TOTAL FAT 0g; SAT. FAT 0g; CHOL. 0mg; SODIUM 3mg; CARB. 21g; FIBER 1g; SUGARS 19g; PROTEIN 1g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A Note: Fresh orange juice used in place of clementine juice in analysis.
Nutrition per serving (with alcohol): CALORIES 126; TOTAL FAT 0g; SAT. FAT 0g; CHOL. 0mg; SODIUM 5mg; CARB. 24g; FIBER 1g; SUGARS 22g; PROTEIN 1g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A