With the holidays upon us, Food & Nutrition’s recipe developers cooked up a beautiful spread of secretly nutritious snacks, sweets and mocktails that are sure to entertain guests! Find our other “Festive Fete” recipes here.
Serving size: 1 latke
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 3 cups grated yellow, purple and red potatoes (about 1½ pounds)
- 1 cup minced shallots
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) canola oil
- ¼ cup, plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce (optional)
- Place grated potatoes into a colander in the sink and squeeze or knead gently to release excess liquid.
- Transfer potatoes to a large bowl and add shallots, garlic, rosemary, eggs, cheese, curry and salt. Stir gently until combined.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 30 seconds.
- Use clean hands to form 7 round latkes with ½-cup potato mixture each.
- Place latkes in skillet and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Flip latkes and cook another 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Repeat until all latkes are cooked, then top each with 1 tablespoon applesauce (if desired) and serve immediately.
Nutrition per serving: CALORIES 147; TOTAL FAT 7g; SAT. FAT 1g; CHOL. 60mg; SODIUM 303mg; CARB. 18g; FIBER 2g; SUGARS 2g; PROTEIN 5g; POTASSIUM 318mg; PHOSPHORUS 95mg