With the holidays upon us, Food & Nutrition’s recipe developers cooked up a beautiful spread of secretly nutritious snacks, sweets and mocktails that are sure to entertain guests! Find our other “Festive Fete” recipes here.
Serving size: ½ cup
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- 1 pear, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (480 milliliters) apple cider
- ½ cup sliced fresh ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cloves
- 2½ cups (590 milliliters) pear juice
- Preheat oven to 200°F (93°C).
- Arrange pear slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place in the oven to dry for 1½ to 2 hours, checking on them every 30 minutes. Alternatively, use store-bought dried pears for garnish.
- Place apple cider, ginger, cinnamon and cloves in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook until syrupy and reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Strain out solids, then place apple syrup into a serving pitcher. Add pear juice and stir.
- Shake with ice and pour into glasses.
- Garnish each glass with a dried pear slice and serve.
Cooking note: To make this recipe with alcohol, add ½ cup bourbon in place of ½ cup pear juice.
Nutrition per serving (without alcohol): CALORIES 96; TOTAL FAT 0g; SAT. FAT 0g; CHOL. 0mg; SODIUM 12mg; CARB. 24g; FIBER 1g; SUGARS 19g; PROTEIN 0g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A Note: Strained ingredients not included in analysis.
Nutrition per serving (with alcohol): CALORIES 124; TOTAL FAT 0g; SAT. FAT 0g; CHOL. 0mg; SODIUM 11mg; CARB. 22g; FIBER 1g; SUGARS 17g; PROTEIN 0g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A