With the holidays upon us, Food & Nutrition’s recipe developers cooked up a beautiful spread of secretly nutritious snacks, sweets and mocktails that are sure to entertain guests! Find our other “Festive Fete” recipes here.
Serving size: 1⅛ cup
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 18 minutes
- ½ cup (120 milliliters) water
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) blackstrap molasses
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger root, skin removed
- 2 cups (480 milliliters) unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) homemade gingerbread syrup
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream
- Ground cinnamon (optional)
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine water, brown sugar, molasses, cinnamon stick and ginger. Stir until sugar is dissolved, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard cinnamon stick and ginger. Set aside to cool. Store gingerbread syrup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
- Using the same saucepan, heat coconut milk and 3 tablespoons gingerbread syrup over medium heat for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Carefully pour half of the hot liquid into a glass jar, secure lid, wrap in a dish towel and shake vigorously. Alternatively, use a milk foamer or whisk vigorously.
- Pour into a mug and repeat with remaining liquid.
- Top each beverage with 1 tablespoon whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon, if desired.
Cooking note: To make this recipe with alcohol, add 1½ fluid ounces (45 milliliters) vanilla vodka.
Nutrition per serving (without alcohol): CALORIES 202; TOTAL FAT 15g; SAT. FAT 11g; CHOL. 32mg; SODIUM 159mg; CARB. 14g; FIBER 0g; SUGARS 14g; PROTEIN 1g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A Note: Strained ingredients not included in analysis.
Nutrition per serving (with alcohol): CALORIES 245; TOTAL FAT 15g; SAT. FAT 11g; CHOL. 32mg; SODIUM 159mg; CARB. 14g; FIBER 0g; SUGARS 14g; PROTEIN 1g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A