With the holidays upon us, Food & Nutrition’s recipe developers cooked up a beautiful spread of secretly nutritious snacks, sweets and mocktails that are sure to entertain guests! Find our other “Festive Fete” recipes here.
Serving size: 2 empanadas
Prep time: 50 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) olive oil
- ½ cup minced green onions
- ½ cup minced red bell pepper
- 10½ ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 diced hard-boiled egg
- 1 tablespoon diced black olives
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 package refrigerated pie crust dough
- Heat oven to 375˚F (191˚C) and coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a 10-inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and sauté green onions and bell peppers about 2 minutes, until tender and lightly browned.
- Stir in chicken and cook until no longer pink, stirring frequently.
- Turn off heat and add egg, olives, paprika, salt and pepper. Transfer to a shallow bowl to cool.
- On a clean surface, unroll dough and make 24 discs with a 2½-inch round cutter.
- Place about 1 tablespoon filling in the middle of each dough disc, being careful to avoid the discs’ edges.
- Lightly wet the edge of the dough with water. Fold each disc in half and press to seal edges, so the shape resembles a half-moon.
- Crimp around edges with a fork.Place empanadas on prepared baking sheet at least 1 inch apart.
- Bake until golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Cooking note: Prior to baking, empanadas can be frozen. Freeze until solid on a baking sheet, then transfer into a freezer bag. When ready to cook, bake frozen empanadas without thawing, adding a few extra minutes to the Cooking time.
Nutrition per serving: CALORIES 185; TOTAL FAT 11g; SAT. FAT 4g; CHOL. 33mg; SODIUM 248mg; CARB. 16g; FIBER 0g; SUGARS 0g; PROTEIN 7g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A