Blood Orange, Avocado and Fennel Salad
Perfect for a party or a quick weeknight side dish, this light and refreshing salad can be prepared in minutes.
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon shallots, minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 large fennel bulbs, cleaned, cored and cut into ⅛-inch slices (reserve fennel fronds for presentation)
- 2 blood oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1 avocado, cut into ¼-inch slices
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, Dijon mustard, shallots, lemon juice, Champagne vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Let stand 10 minutes to allow flavors to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. While dressing sits, assemble the salad by spreading sliced fennel on a large plate. Alternate blood orange segments and avocado slices on top of the fennel.
- Just before serving, slowly drizzle salad with dressing and sprinkle with reserved fennel fronds, if desired. Serves 4.
Serving size: 1 cup (2 avocado slices, 2 orange segments, ½ cup fennel slices and salad dressing)
Calories: 317; Total fat: 26g; Saturated fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 386mg; Carbohydrates: 24g; Fiber: 9g; Sugars: 13g; Protein: 3g; Potassium: N/A; Phosphorus: N/A
Note: Nutrition information for potassium and phosphorus in Dijon mustard and Champagne vinegar not available.