Kısır Turkish-Style Bulgur and Vegetable Salad
Lemon juice, pomegranate molasses and freshly cut herbs perfectly complement crisp vegetables and fine bulgur in this Turkish salad. Serve wrapped in lettuce leaves, topped with low-fat plain yogurt or as a colorful side dish to any meal.
- 1½ cups fine bulgur
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons red pepper paste
- 1½ cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 long English cucumber, peeled and diced
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup fresh dill, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine bulgur, salt, tomato paste and red pepper paste. Add boiling water and mix well. Allow mixture to sit for 5 to 15 minutes, depending on grain coarseness, until bulgur has absorbed the liquid.
- Fluff with a fork, then mix in olive oil and pomegranate molasses.
- Gently fold in cucumber, tomatoes, carrots, bell pepper, dill, mint and lemon juice. Serves 8.
- Make red pepper paste in a food processor by pulverizing roasted red peppers.
- If pomegranate molasses cannot be found, substitute a mixture of 1 tablespoon honey and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar.
Serving size: 8 ounces
Calories: 146; Total fat: 4g; Saturated fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 281mg; Carbohydrates: 26g; Fiber: 5g; Sugars: 6g; Protein: 4g; Potassium: 402mg; Phosphorus: 103mg