Spelt Flour Pancakes with Blueberry-Ginger Compote
Spelt flour has a naturally sweet and nutty flavor that works well in quick breads and hot cakes. Topped with a simple blueberry-ginger compote, these pancakes are the perfect addition to your next weekend brunch.
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- ½ cup low-fat milk (or unsweetened non-dairy milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- 2½ cups frozen or fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together spelt flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt to remove any clumps.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg with a fork. Add yogurt, milk and vanilla extract, and stir until combined. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and stir gently until the mixture is just moistened and small lumps remain.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking oil. Scoop ¼ cup of batter and pour into the pan, spreading gently to form an even circle. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbles form in the middle of the pancake and the bottom is lightly browned. Gently flip and cook 1 minute until the other side is lightly browned. Repeat until all batter is used, adding oil to the pan between pancakes as needed.
- To make the blueberry-ginger compote, add blueberries, maple syrup and grated ginger to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and stir. Break blueberries apart with the back of a spoon as you cook.
- Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken. Serve warm over pancakes. Serves 4.
Serving size: 2 pancakes (3.9 ounces) + ¼ cup compote
Calories: 226; Total fat: 4g; Saturated fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 52mg; Sodium: 443mg; Carbohydrates: 39g; Fiber: 5g; Sugars: 14g; Protein: 8g; Potassium: N/A; Phosphorus: N/A
Note: Nutrition information for potassium and phosphorus in spelt flour not available.