Some people shy away from rice because they have a fear that carbohydrates cause weight gain. Don’t let that be you! Brown rice is a whole grain that is unprocessed and rich in nutrients. Whole grains are heart healthy and great for digestion. Carbohydrates give our bodies energy, and brown rice is a good source of fiber, magnesium, manganese, selenium and certain B vitamins.
Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1¾ cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- Black pepper to taste
Add water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the rice and olive oil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes or until all of the water has absorbed.
While the rice is cooking, zest and juice the lime and finely chop the cilantro.
When the rice is done, remove from heat and let it sit covered for 10 minutes. Remove cover and fluff with a fork. Stir in the cilantro, lime juice and lime zest. Add black pepper to taste.
- The cooking time may vary according to which brand of rice you are using. Refer to package directions.
- I used small grain rice, but you could also use long grain.
- If you are short on time, you could even use brown minute rice.
- One lime will provide about 2 tablespoons of juice and 2 tablespoons of zest.