By Magnolia Labs, Inc.
RATING: 3 Stars
If you suffer from celiac disease or gluten intolerance, the Gluten Freed app acts as a gluten-free restaurant finder.
- Shows the nearest restaurant with gluten-free products
- Lists dining locations by category, ratings and review
- Includes local and chain restaurants
- Offers different gluten-free categories, such as gluten-free pizza, cafes and bakeries
- The small quantity of reviews may not allow for an accurate overall picture of the restaurant. There are very few reviews of the places listed which makes you wonder if the consumer just had one good or one bad experience, not giving a broad range of reviews. Customer reviews are not relevant to the ability of the restaurant to assist a person requiring a gluten-free diet, nor does it list available gluten-free items on the menu.
- The app does not have many features and is basic. It does not provide comprehensive information about what the diet is, nor does it list foods to avoid or consume, nor what to eat at restaurants listed.
- Not sure how results are organized as they are not based on mileage or alphabet
I believe this app has potential to expand its knowledge of gluten-free options by suggestion on what to order, how to make appropriate substitutions and would benefit from review criteria to assist consumers in options they can eat without worry. However, I would hesitate to recommend this app until the manufacturer increases the size of the database and number of reviews.
—Jessica Crandall, RD, CDE