Synopsis of the App
FoodKeeper is a well-designed pocket reference from the USDA that helps answer the common food question: Is that still good? The app provides details on how to store, pack, cook and freeze food for the best quality, safety and waste reduction. FoodKeeper also includes tips on buying the right amounts of food, composting and calendar reminders to use foods before they spoil. This app is ideal for anyone who stocks a kitchen.
Platform and Price
Free: Apple and Android
5 out of 5
- Beautifully designed with attractive food photography and a user-friendly interface.
- Provides detailed information on how to store, pack, cook and freeze your food.
- Browse detailed food categories for storage recommendations on foods that are fresh, shelf stable, smoked, cured, stuffed or assembled.
- The app covers a wide variety of food types including uncommon items such as pectin, dried mushrooms, fresh clams and oysters.
- Suggests timelines (from days to months) for storing foods that are sealed, open or refrigerated after thawing.
- Provides easy to access cooking information including proper cooking temperatures and tips for properly cooking food in the microwave and ways to avoid cross contamination.
- Includes tips on buying the right amounts, proper food storage and composting.
- Never forget the salad greens in the crisper again with food reminders that can be added to your calendar directly from the app.
- The app is easy to search.
- Users can submit a question to the USDA using the "ask Karen" function.
- None noted.
FoodKeeper is ideal for anyone who buys or cooks food. With an extensive food list, the app provides details on how to store, pack, cook and freeze foods that you might not easily find in other places.