Platform and Price
Free; Available via Apple App store and GooglePlay
3 out of 5
Synopsis of the App
MealLogger is a photo food journaling app that allows you to track meals with or without nutrition data.
- Simple, user-friendly design.
- Add meals by simply taking a picture with your smartphone or typing in the contents.
- Track personal calorie, carbohydrate and protein goals for each meal, if desired.
- Track weight, sleep and steps based on personal goals.
- Option to connect to "healthcare professionals" via the MealLogger Provider Network for consultation.
- Fitness integration with FitBit and RunKeeper app.
- Seamlessly share content with friends on Facebook.
- Access journals and weekly reports online.
- Helpful tool for registered dietitians in private practice seeking other ways to connect with new and existing clients.
- No advertisements.
- Must surrender an email address and basic identification information to sign up.
- MealLogger allows a variety of providers into its network. It's not clear what qualifications are required for providers in the network who are not registered dietitians, registered nurses or medical doctors.
- In its effort to simplify the journaling process and be different, MealLogger omits the standard nutrient database. While some won't miss it, this omission leaves one to guess at the calorie, carbohydrate and protein content of meals.
MealLogger provides an easy-to-use, visual journaling option for the person who wants to keep an eye on food intake but doesn't want to commit to pen and paper. The app may help raise awareness about the food they eat. However, it is limited and would work best with coaching input from a registered dietitian nutritionist.