Synopsis of the App
BagIQ lets you track and analyze your grocery purchases to see how what you buy may affect your health and your wallet.
3 out of 5
Platform and Price
Free. Apple. Android.
- Clean, attractive design.
- User-friendly interface with all features and key outputs accessible from the dashboard.
- Compiles food purchases from wherever you shop (with a few limitations).
- Snap a receipt or scan a barcode to keep track of the food you buy.
- Long list of online and brick and mortar retailers onboard – making it easier to get a complete purchase picture.
- Watch your BagIQ change with each food purchase.
- Your BagIQ is provided as a score from 1-1000 as well as a visual by percentage of red, yellow and green purchases.
- Must log in – surrendering an email address to use the app.
- App does not include all major retailers. For example, Publix and Kroger are not included.
- Uploads are not always immediate. Purchases from receipts appear within 24 hours and it may take time for past purchases to be imported from online stores.
- Algorithm may need a few adjustments. In one instance, the app ranked quinoa and linguine pasta equally.
- Limited bar code scanner functionality and usefulness – several products were not found.
- Users may skip this app in favor of their privacy since linking to online retailers means sharing valuable information about their purchase history.
Ideal for the online grocery shopper, BagIQ is a way to track your food purchases in one place. Though the health scores and alternate recommendations need tweaking, the app shows promise and may provide some insight into the health of your shopping cart.