Synopsis of the App
The USDA DRI Calculator puts the Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) at your fingertips. This app makes it easy to calculate nutrient recommendations for clients directly from the app.
Platform and Price
Free. Apple and Android
4 out of 5
- Simple design makes it easy to enter data and review results with no distractions.
- Easily access the nutrient calculator from the home screen.
- Save multiple client profiles for quick reference.
- Enter anthropometric data in metric or imperial units – no conversions necessary.
- Determine BMI and basic caloric recommendations for each profile.
- The app includes pop up reminders at critical decision points to remind the user of the limitations of the DRIs and how they should be used in practice.
- Access and review background information on the DRIs from the home screen.
- Access nutrition education resources for health professionals including diabetes, kidney disease, heart health, minerals, vitamins, weight gain in pregnancy charts, weight management and common nutrition questions.
- Reference resources covering the DASH diet, MyPlate, the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and the FDA’s Nutrition Facts Label.
- Easily enlarge or shrink font size with a slider for optimal readability.
- FAQs include an interactive glossary that explains everything from the Acceptable Macro-nutrient Distribution Ranges and electrolytes to Tolerable Upper Level Intake (UL) and more.
- Use the dedicated space for favorites and notes and email these to colleagues or patients from the app.
- App design is not particularly engaging or attractive but it gets the job done.
- The app crashed a couple times while using it – but the information was recovered.
Ideal for registered dietitian nutritionists, the DRI Calculator is a convenient way to access the DRIs and calculate nutrient recommendations. It eliminates the need to download and reference multiple nutrient charts. This app improves accessibility to the DRIs from the patient’s bedside to a home office.