Platform and Price
Android, iOS, Web, free
4 out of 5
Synopsis of the App
Developed by the New York Department of Health, Cal Cutter calculates the estimated calories per serving of personal recipes and serves up a few healthy cooking tips along the way.
• Easy recipe entry and analysis with no confusing bells and whistles
• Easily scale recipes up or down to offer healthier serving sizes
• Includes helpful information on topics such as the impact of oil and zero calorie ingredients on recipe nutrient data
• Accounts for marinades by including only a portion in the calculation
• With one click, the Cal Cutter button delivers onscreen suggestions to reduce calories or create a healthier recipe with ingredient substitutions, healthier cooking methods or smaller portion sizes.
• Available as a web application
• Limited ingredient database
• App doesn’t account for individual calorie needs – all reference a 2,000 calorie diet
• Must make some ingredient assumptions that may impact nutrient analysis accuracy
Cal Cutter offers a crash course in nutrient analysis while encouraging the home cook to keep calories in check. Though basic, Cal Cutter can help the average consumer become more aware of the calories in their home recipes and offer suggestions to make them a bit healthier