Synopsis of the App
The Ingredient1 app helps you discover natural and specialty foods based on taste profile, ingredients, allergens, nutrient data and labels such as organic and GMO-free.
4 out of 5
Platform and Price
Free. Apple only
- Easy to use.
- Ingredient1 focuses on the food and does not persuade users to follow a specific diet.
- Foods are catalogued based on ingredients and over 127 variables for each product.
- Opens with one question: "What are you in the mood for?"
- Discover foods through your diet preference settings. These include: "I eat anything," dairy-free, GMO-free, kosher, gluten-free, organic, paleo, vegan and vegetarian.
- Set taste preferences.
- Highly customizable. Declare favorite and disliked ingredients; indicate you love cumin and get more products featuring it. Say you hate chocolate and banish it for good (or until your tastes change).
- Includes randomized search options for desired flavors, textures and characteristics including: savory, crunchy, chewy, creamy, sweet, organic, GMO-free, small, medium and large.
- Once you've discovered a food you like, save it, share it or "fave" it for easy recall.
- Use the find function to locate hard-to-find foods near you or be notified when they are in your area.
- Search for and select foods based on what is currently and recently trending.
- Easily opt out of specific ingredients.
- Connect with Twitter and Facebook to share your own and discover your friends' favorite foods.
- Database is limited by the 200 brands and stores the app maker partners with.
- Available on Apple only at the time of this review.
With no pressure to follow a specific diet, Ingredient1 is a convenient portal to uncover the ingredients in new, less mainstream and hard to find foods.