Synopsis: Shine is a meditation and motivation app designed to help calm anxiety and stress.
Price and Platform: Free with premium option. Apple and Android.
RDN Score: 5/5
- Cheerful yet calming design that fosters a pleasant and inspiring user experience.
- Created by diverse experts including psychologists, therapists and mindfulness experts.
- Shine’s content caters to traditionally underserved groups and includes diverse voices, skin tones and experiences to nurture an inclusive community.
- Get daily meditations, read a highlighted daily article and log your daily gratitude check-ins in the free app.
- Listen to a new “Daily Shine” meditation each weekday.
- Access Shine’s “Quick Hitters” for inspiration whenever you need it. These free meditations include the themes Morning Mindset, Midday Mood and Evening Vibes.
- Meditations vary in length with most in the five- to 10-minute range.
- Daily meditations target the complexities of lives and current circumstances, leading you to “Focus on What you Can Control,” “Listen with Empathy” or “Honor Your Whole Self,” for example.
- The app’s Playlists feature has concentrated content on topics such as self-love, Black mental health, AAPI mental health and coping with burnout.
- Upgrade to the premium membership for $64.99 per year to get personalized meditations, full library access and additional features such as mood tracking and member-only events.
- At about $65 per year, the premium membership could be cost-prohibitive for some.
Bottom Line: Named in Apple’s Best of 2020, the Shine app is ideal for anyone looking to level up their self-care skills from anywhere at any time.