Platform and Price
Apple and Android, free
3out of 5
Synopsis of the App
Prep & Pantry is designed to track food storage and preparedness supplies. With the goal of reducing food waste, the app records stored item locations, quantities and expiration dates.
- Simple, uncluttered, easy-to-navigate design.
- Scanner quickly and accurately identifies food items.
- Enter foods with and without a barcode.
- Ability to add foods not in the database, which contributes to crowdsourced items in the database.
- List and categorize foods alphabetically, by expiration date, location or tags for easy review and discovery.
- Conveniently add items with low inventory to the “cart” for a running shopping list.
- Create reports that can be exported and shared.
- Sync inventory between multiple devices easily over Wi-Fi or cellular data.
- Includes options to manage coupons and retail stores.
- Can disable expiration date entry to reduce time required for data entry.
- Limits saved pantry items to 10 (the upgraded $7.99 version allows unlimited entry, syncing and database management).
- Automation takes a backseat after scanning the item as the app requires manual entry for expiration dates, quantity on hand and location.
- Though nominal in cost, Prep & Pantry requires a significant upfront time investment.
Prep & Pantry provides a simple, uncluttered method to organize and create a snapshot of your pantry. Unfortunately the time required for data entry alone may more than the average consumer is willing to invest.