Synopsis of the App
Magisto features basic and limited tools but requires no editing skills, making it user-friendly for anyone seeking a simple way to compile existing images and motion clips into an attention-grabbing video, complete with a theme and music. Built like a social community with the capability to follow friends, Magisto has a space to explore videos by topic, meet like-minded storytellers and like, share and save favorites.
Platform and Price
Free to $19.99 per year: Apple and Android
3 out of 5
- Beautiful, user-friendly interface.
- Requires no editing skills.
- Select clips from existing footage or shoot a video using the app.
- Select from a variety of themes (such as food, zen or fiesta) and add tunes from stock soundtracks or a personal music library.
- Record videos of varying lengths including 15 second movies special for Instagram up to two-and-a-half-minute videos.
- Share movies to a public timeline within the Magisto community or keep them private.
- Movies are made private by default.
- Explore popular movies and channels in the Magisto community by topic including food, travel and music.
- Built as a community with the capability to follow friends (via Facebook or your contact list) and like-minded storytellers to like, save and share videos.
- Supports all standard video formats.
- Requires an active Internet connection to create videos.
- Free users are limited to 10 video clips and 15 photos per movie. Premium users are limited to 25 video clips and 30 photos per movie.
- Editing tools are limited, with no option to add text or otherwise personalize movies.
- Takes a few minutes to process a movie upload.
- Longer movies (up to two-and-a-half minutes) are only available to premium members.
- Only premium members can download movies — and these are limited to movies created in the previous two months.
Magisto is the easy editor. It's a great fit for anyone seeking a simple way to compile photos and video clips over a pre-set theme and music. Those needing more editing control should select a different app.