Platform and Price
Free; Available via Apple App store and GooglePlay
3 out of 5
Synopsis of the App
Locavore is penned the “easiest way to find local, in season food.” The app provides a list of area farmers markets and sellers of local goods and compiles seasonal recipes from around the Internet. The app’s social media slant allows users to share finds via the app and on Facebook.
- Easy-to-use, attractive design.
- Lists local farmers’ markets and local sellers including location, directions and contact information.
- Provides an up-to-date list of in season produce, highlighting what’s at peak and what’s coming soon.
- “Forage” function allows you to see what’s happening with new users in your area.
- Plentiful recipes available for each food.
- Recipes are tagged as dairy-free, vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free as appropriate.
- Space provided for products, comments and likes (most are currently bare).
- Links to Wikipedia as the main source of produce information.
- Though people have signed on, Locavore users aren’t fully engaged to like and share recipes or comment on local products and sellers.
- Cooks beware. Recipe sources are not always available making it difficult to judge the quality of the recipe.
Though it currently lacks the critical mass of active users to reach its full potential, Locavore has the bones to be the go-to app for sharing and exploring local foods. Despite the sharing deficit, Locavore is an exceptional app for tracking what’s in season, at peak and what’s on the horizon.