"Healthy" may not be the first thing you think of when you think about pizza. In fact, most pizzeria pies are made with refined wheat flour, salty sauces and high-fat cheeses and meats. Instead of ordering an unhealthy version, try making your own.
Let's Start with the Dough
Although making homemade dough can be easy, buying a premade uncooked pizza dough is a huge time-saving swap. Look for premade whole-wheat pizza dough made with 100-percent whole-wheat flour. The recipe below incorporates even more whole grains by kneading cooked quinoa into the dough. This step adds fiber, a little extra protein and a nice crunch.
Pile on the Veggies
I like to replace a standard, salty tomato sauce with a "salad-pizza" topping of olive oil, caramelized onions and Bosc pears. Instead of piling on highly caloric cheese and meat toppings, get your flavor from spicy arugula, juicy pomegranate seeds and a sprinkle of rich crumbled goat cheese.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 ounces whole-wheat pizza dough
- ¼ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ Bosc Pear, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 large handfuls arugula, washed and dried
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 1 tablespoon crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sprinkle all-purpose flour on a wooden cutting board, baking sheet or countertop. With your hands, knead whole-wheat pizza dough with quinoa (the quinoa does not have to be totally incorporated, but should be just coated on the outside of the dough). Form a 9-inch circle. Place dough on an oiled baking sheet and bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil. Sauté onions for about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and pear and sauté for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and mix until all ingredients are evenly coated.
- Turn off heat and add arugula to pan. Add balsamic vinegar and toss until evenly coated.
- Once pizza crust is done baking, remove from oven. Top with arugula "salad" mixture.
- Sprinkle pizza with goat cheese and pomegranate seeds. Serves 2.