With minimal effort, pinto beans and cauliflower come together to add extra nutrition to mashed potatoes.
SERVING SIZE: 1 cup (254 grams)
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
- ¾ cup (155 milliliters) vegetable broth, divided
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 1 15.5-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups white potato, chopped into small cubes
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cauliflower florets, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 fresh basil leaves, chopped (optional for garnish)
- In a small pot over medium heat, warm ¼ cup vegetable broth. Add onions and beans and stir. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until most of the vegetable broth has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes and cauliflower in a large microwave-safe bowl and mix in the remaining ½ cup vegetable broth. Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Let sit covered for 1 minute. Potato and cauliflower should be fork tender. Microwave for another 1 to 2 minutes, if necessary.
- Combine potato, cauliflower, beans and onion in a tall blender or food processor. Blend in batches, if necessary. Add salt, garlic powder and pepper, then blend to a smooth consistency. If needed, add an extra 1 to 2 tablespoons water or vegetable broth to achieve desired consistency. When serving, top with chopped basil, if desired.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 215 calories, 1g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 494mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 3g sugar, 10g protein, 759mg potassium, 162mg phosphorus