Synopsis: Known as the No. 1 medical reference app, Epocrates provides current safety, diagnostic and treatment information when and where health care professionals need it.
Price and Platform: Free with paid option. Apple and Android.
RDN Score: 4/5
- Easy to search with clear and concise information.
- Practical and easy way to view disease and medical references, medication information, health insurance information, news, study briefs and current treatment details.
- Access more than 600 different calculators, decision tools and risk-scoring systems and quickly view normal values for laboratory panels.
- Read alternative medicine monographs and stay up to date with news and current treatment guidelines.
- Customize your Epocrates home screen with drag-and-drop options for features you use most often.
- Physicians and other health care professionals can earn continuing education credits within the app.
- Check for drug interactions and identify medication using the comprehensive pill image database.
- For those working in a clinical setting, check insurance coverage and alternatives.
- View labs, ICD-10 codes and peer-reviewed disease content from the BMJ in the PLUS plan ($16.99).
- The professional version can be pricey but may not be necessary for RDNs and NDTRs.
Bottom Line: Ideal for health care professionals and interns in clinical settings, this app puts the reliable, comprehensive and easy-to-navigate Epocrates web service in your pocket.