Synopsis of the App: The Mighty app helps users learn self-defense and get fit during the process.
Price and Platform: Free. Apple only.
RDN Score: 4/5
- Video and audio quality are clear. The host and instructors are deliberate and easy to follow.
- Starts with a required interactive introduction video that gathers basic information such as fitness level, workout frequency and height and weight to calculate estimated calorie burn.
- Includes over 200 training exercises and teaches 20 different self-defense moves, including the low sidekick and chokehold escape.
- Personalize your experience by selecting the main reasons for using the app such as being more confident, getting fit and more active, building strength or protecting oneself.
- Set weekly goals to track training progress.
- The app is designed with a non-judgmental and empowering tone.
- Mighty acknowledges the limitations of the app, requiring a waiver for users to only train while in good health, apply self-defense moves in accordance with the law and use and apply the Mighty training and techniques at your own risk to get started.
- Get started with a free download, then access full content with a paid annual, monthly or lifetime subscription.
- Available on iOS devices only at the time of this review.
- Must subscribe (with the option to cancel before being charged) and cancel subscription to access any part of the free trial.
- Learning via an app is arguably better than doing nothing but not likely as effective as a hands-on program.
Bottom Line: Mighty is a unique and convenient way to stay active while learning and practicing self-defense moves.