Cinnamon and Amaranth Cookies
Made with protein-rich amaranth, these cookies are ideal for tea time or the lunchbox.
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fine whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup amaranth
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, applesauce and light brown sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, then add vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, combine whole-wheat flour, baking powder, amaranth, cinnamon and salt.
- Mix all ingredients together until just incorporated. Cover and refrigerate the dough until firm, about 30 to 60 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Roll a tablespoon of dough into a ball, then roll the ball in the sugar-cocoa mixture. Repeat for 20 dough balls and place them 1½ inches apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until puffed and slightly cracked. Remove cookies from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes. Transfer cookies to cooling racks to cool completely. If desired, serve cookies sprinkled with extra powdered sugar and cinnamon. Serves 10.
Serving size: 2 cookies (37 grams each)
Calories: 262; Total fat: 7g; Saturated fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 68mg; Sodium: 183mg; Carbohydrate: 45g; Fiber: 4g; Sugars: 21g; Protein: 6g; Potassium: 192mg; Phosphorus: 192mg